From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ibiteraaarr@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 8:10 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Got my facts straight?

HEADS UP!  I'm sorry to report this email is long. :(   I have quite a few questions to ensure that I am either correct in my facts, or that I'm going in the right direction to get the correct information.
         Some complications with my pregnancy has had me completely sidelined for the last two months, and now that I'm in my second trimester, problems/concerns are subsiding and I'm trying to get back into the gradual swing of things.
         That said, here's the scoop on what I need some pointers with. I'm going this weekend to look at a 1995 WW 3-Horse, slant load bumper pull trailer. Aside from the basics like floor, wiring, rust, ball hitch, tires, brakes, etc, is there anything else I should specifically look for or ask about? Keep in mind I've never owned a horse trailer before or ever had to cart around my own beasties. Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
I've been reading up on the archives for any past discussions on trailers, travel papers and weigh stations, and I just want to clarify a few things.
-For registration, I should only need plates, but the DMV will be able to tell me exactly what's required for the trailer?
-I believe I've read that insurance on trailers is not required, but it seems like a good idea. What's the general consensus about this? Is it worth it or no, and are there different types of policies like there are for automobiles (full coverage, liability, etc)?
-I only have private owner's liability insurance on my horses but does that also need to be changed the more we start traveling, even if it's just to local trails?
         As far as actually traveling with the horse(s), my state requires only a negative Coggins and a health certificate. While we aren't required to get brand inspections, is it still a good idea to have one anyway just as an extra precaution? I don't mind the extra paperwork if it means being more prepared. Also does the health certificate include vaccination records or should that be brought along as extra(unneeded) documentation to substantiate the health cert?
         A lot of the archives mentioned having to stop at weight stations, or mandatory Ag Ports of Entry.  Just to be safe I should stop even if I don't think I need to? I'm assuming people mean the first weigh station when one crosses the state line? Or is it every single station on the interstate? Or is this completely unnecessary with just a truck and a regular horse trailer?
         Ok LAST QUESTION I promise. I know that when using a straight load trailer, you put most of the weight on the left side to counteract the crowned surface of the road. What about slant loads? Obviously that wouldn't apply, but is there a specific "slot" you should put the horse(s) in if not traveling with all three?

         To anyone who's read this far...a big thanks! I know this was a bit tedious but I figured this was the best place to get answers. Any input you can throw my way I'm grateful for.

Regards,
Liz