[RC] fitness questions - Agilbxr

Ok, as a highly experienced long distance rider (I've done two now. :) ), I was wondering what everyone thougth about how long it takes a horse to come back from an injury.  Alpine had what we think was a minor tendon injury that had him out for 6 weeks.  We have been back on for a week and a half now, and he's doing great. He was trotting out sound for 2 weeks before the vet gave us clearance to ride again.  He's stayed sound and happy with walking and a little gaiting.  I would really like to do the Jennings Boogie at the beginning of January.  He wasn't totally out of shape when he hurt himself, and tends to be easy to keep fit.

Am I asking to much to try to bring him back for a slow 25 in six weeks???  He is 8 years old and had never been lame before.  We think he was hurt in a spat with another horse, because Spot came up with hoof marks the same day we found Alpine was off.  I have unlimited trail access at this point, so I can do some nice long slow work.  Whatcha think????

Juli and Alpine (finally, I get to go again...)