Re: [RC] Blanketing Question-another round! - Vicki Austin

Amy,  I for one always encourage blanketing  as I WORK
my horses.  My belief is that if you groom all the
oils off and then sweat them up they need some help
from we who do that to them.  There is nothing colder
than being wet with sweat and taking hours to dry off
(as in a worked horse in winter with a full winter
coat). I start with a light sheet on those colder
summer and fall nights and windy days, then use
progressivly warmer blankets.  I layer, that way you
can take away some if they are warmer or add some if
colder days happen.  I go by how cold or warm I am and
whether I put on a sweatshirt or a coat or both.

If working indoors I use a rump rug until my horse is
warmed up and then take it off (or roll it up).  I
myself usually have to take my heavy coat off as I
warm up as well. I cool him  off after the workout for
about 15 minutes with the butt rug on (and my coat)
and then put his cooler on and put him in the stall
for about an hour with some hay and maybe a little
grain or treat of some kind.

I also do a trace clip from november until about Feb,
then a hunter clip until about May and then a full
body clip early spring and summer. Clipping makes the
whole cooling off time a lot shorter and even makes
the sweating less. But you MUST use blankets if you
clip at all.

I know some people want to leave their horse "totally
natural" but don't really think about the fact that if
you groom and ride you cannot let them be "natural" as
you have taken all the "natural' out of their life.
And in winter that can cause a lot of discomfort for
the horse that has to stand around cold and miserable
shivering and trying to stay warm.

When people say that a horse is warming up when they
shiver I tell them to take their coats off and shiver
for a while and see how they feel after even a few
minutes.  I have shivered so violently before that
every muscle in my body ached afterwards  for days.  I
can sympathize with my horse when / if he starts to
shiver.   I put cloths on him as quickly as I can,
yes my horses are spoiled but they are comfortable.

Hope this helps in your decision.   Vicki

--- amy <amym600@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am hoping that if I describe my winter riding
activity if I can get some advice on blanketing or
not
blanketing my horse.  I have a big indoor and a
slightly warm barn and will be doing training this
winter indoors, ie. sweat work.  The horses are on
daily turnout and do get inspected daily and
blankets
will get straightened when they are put in for the
day
if needed.  My friend has said to blanket so I do
not
have a hairy beast will help him not to sweat so
much
during a workout and then a cooler after working out
will keep him dry and warm.  I have never blanketed
before but then again I have not had an indoor to
ride
in either or training to do.  I live in MN so you
can
imagine just how cold it gets! Not to mention the
snow/rain/sleet crud.  In this situation would
blanketing be advised?  Thanks, Amy

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree