Re: [RC] Re. BLM Horses - Sarah W

I just hate the thought of someone buying a ticket to
get a "cheap"horse and not
having a clue as to what they are getting themselves
into .
              Drin Becker
              Mtn Region

Every true horse person hates this thought.
Unfortunately, inexperienced people will get in over
their heads and some horses will pay the price.  It is
inevitable and seen throughout the horse world, not
just on the Mustang issue.  I've been avidly watching
this discussion and debate and have seen all opinions
presented.

There is no denying the best way to learn about, sell,
or gain insight on horses is through a network of
knowledgeable people.  Not all BLM Mustangs are
suitable for endurance.  Nor are all Arabs, or
Morgans, or TBs, or QHs, or Grades.  I don't think
this is a valid argument.  However, the presentation
of BLM horses among some of the most knowledgeable
horse owners and trainers may lead to adoptions for
those out there who are looking to take on training
projects and haven't considered the Mustang.  Or, the
BLM reps might appeal to someone who knows someone
else.  Bottom line, it is all about campaigning and I
would much rather see Mustangs campaigned towards more
knowledgeable, established riders and trainers than
the general public that has little to no experience.
Isn't it actually a step up from the current crowd
Mustangs are promoted to (i.e. the first time horse
owner, the grandparents buying a "cheap" horse for the
grandkids, etc)?  It just makes sense - and where else
will you find so many established horse people in one
area at one time several times throughout the year?  I
think the whole concept does need the kinks and
details worked out for safety's sake, but why not be
open-minded to this?

The one opinion I've seen with this mailing group and
have heard from fellow riders is the endurance crowd
is probably the most open and accepting crowd in the
horse world.  I have believed this to be true until
now.  This concept hasn't even been played out or
experimented with to date, yet, I've mainly seen
negative, closed-minded opinions shutting out the
whole idea before its even had a chance to be
discussed at an organized level.  Yes, there is the
possibility for a sick horse to show up or a major
stampede taking down camp - but that is why the AERC
members campaign to establish guidelines if the BLM
wants to follow through with having horses on display
at rides.  There is more likely a greater chance of
your horse encountering strangles from a local
fairgrounds than from BLM Mustangs because you can't
control who shows up at a show, but can control what
type of horse the BLM puts on display.

Obviously, as everyone knows and agrees with, the BLM
management program needs some help.  We, as horse
people, can turn our noses up and continue to make
excuses why this alliance is not in our personal
interests (I've only seen personal reasons stated, not
reasons that will cause the entire endurance community
to crumble).  Or, we can suck up and take care of our
obligations as horse people, which is the welfare of
the horse species - nonhorse people sure as heck
aren't going to do it, so who is left?  It is what we
owe back to the fellow horse since the fellow horse
gives so much to us.

Before I get flamed on my own experience, I personally
have owned and trained two different wild horses thus
far, one being a Mustang, and I do know how much is
involved.  She was a a gorgeous mare and gave me a
wonderful colt - this guy was the ugliest foal I've
ever seen, but has matured into a beautiful, sturdy,
and balanced colt.  My farrier claims him as the
poster child of beautiful, hardy feet, and everyone
else is amazed at his excellent bone and joint
structure, confirmation, and mild disposition.  He'll
never be an endurance prospect, but his calm and
willing disposition has rubbed off onto my nervous,
Arab youngin's that do have endurance in their
futures.  I couldn't ask for a better pasture mate.

Please open your minds to the bigger picture.

Sarah
Lansing, MI

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree