[RC] [Guest] BLM Horses - Ridecamp Moderator

Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx

Randy- While it sounds nice to have an "alliance " with at least one of the parts of Government that controls where we get to ride, did you float this idea on Ride Camp or at the Directors meetings ahead of time? Sounds like what may have been a good idea has some heavy "unintended consequences".

First- It doesn't seem clear to me if you are talking Mustangs that have been gentled by the prisoners, as exists, I believe in Nevada and Utah. If these are wild as March hares, then how in the dickens are they going to get them to a remote ride base camp and set them up in a safe manner for all concerned?
When the ride starts on Sat am, I have a picture in my mind of the mustang herd going crazy when the riders and horses start the AERC event--the mustangs will see "the herd is leaving--we must stay with the herd-- and all hell can break lose.

If there is the very slightest chance of strangles or other health problems with mustangs at the same ride camp as our AERC horses, then count me out. I know all too well how many horses died from the "Washoe crud", and I have 6 horses here at home. I don't need to bring anything home from a ride that is so possible from the git-go.
With riders coming from all over- how are the BLM greenies going to check out our facilities? I attend rides where riders come from as many as 4-5 states, and I'm not talking about Tevis.

Most of us have reasonably decent trailers which haul horses used to being hauled. I don't want to guarantee that a mustang can get home to my place safely without kicking my trailer to bits, and endangering my others horse(s) in the trailer, or the tack behind the bulkhead wall. If I wanted a trailer that looked like a set of grenades went off inside and put lots of dents in it, I could do that without risking my existing horses.

Now- here's a big question- What about the AERC ride Managers insurance? What insurance company is going to indemnify all the participants, ranch owner, park location, etc. from the possible damages that can ensue from this plan? I think this puts ALL of the insurance we have had trouble keeping thru the years in great jeopardy.
Since there is a BLM adoption area not too far from Reno, why not try to arrange a trip TO the facility for those who are interested? I can see trying to get the BLM to have a booth at Reno.

BUT, I CANNOT SEE ATTENDING ANY RIDE WHERE THESE HORSES ARE PHYSICALLY PLACED. NOR DO I WANT TO SEE NEGATIVE HEADLINES ABOUT THE COMPLETE CHAOS & WRECKAGE THEIR PRESENCE COULD CAUSE.

Randy- please go back to the drawing board on this idea.