Re: [RC] BLM Sponsorship - Merryben

In a message dated 11/5/2003 11:48:43 PM Central Standard Time, greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This whole horse adoption thing is too much like giving away puppies and
kittens in front of K Mart.

This has been what I have been saying but no one else seems to agree.  I had two mustangs, a mother and baby.  The mom was very sweet and gentle, as is the baby......but she was captured and he was born in captivity.  I don't think many people realize the specialness of the mustangs.  I would never have been able to ride her because she was too much "bolt and buck" when she was afraid.  I gave her to friends who have mustangs, understand them, and most importantly ride better than I do.  They are doing really well with her but it has taken a year to two to get her to this point and she is still not totally trustworthy.  While her son, is 3 1/2 and can be saddled and ridden on a lead and has no issues at all.  He was born in captivity and never learned that he had to take care of himself or possibly be eaten.  I know that my place would never pass the BLM inspection.  My shelters don't have three sides and my mustang lives in 35 acres with 7 other horses and only trees for shelter and old beat up fencing.  If you put him in a "safe" enclosure he get out.  I put him in a pipe run and he took the gate off the hinges and was in the pasture when I got there the next day.  He is happy being a horse.....mb