RE: [RC] who are we to" align" with? - David LeBlanc

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Collins
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 7:47 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] who are we to" align" with?

As I said in my first post, we'd probably do well to form
alliances with as many environmental groups as possible.
We've got more in common with those groups than there are
differences.

Don't mean to start a war, but many of us disagree totally
with you on this point.  We have much more in common with
other multiple users.  If we don't align with other multiple
users, we will eventually be banned from all forest trails.
I know many do not want to believe this, but it is true.
When I lived in CA I sat in meetings with "environmental"
groups that said straight out that as soon they got rid of
motorized access, horses were next.  You can chose to think
that you have more in common with the environmental groups,
but I truly believe we will all suffer the consequences for
your naivete.  Cindy

One thing I'm not naïve about is politics. I grew up around Florida politics
and have seen it from a lot of different aspects. One of the reasons we see
these kind of attitudes is precisely because we're not involved. We're those
faceless horse people. If we get to know one another and find common ground,
we're more likely to be able to work together. We do have a lot of common
ground - I don't know about you, but I don't care to ride through clear-cut.
If forests aren't preserved, it won't matter much whether there are trails
or not. I also look at it in terms of what motivates people - politics does
indeed sometimes make strange bedfellows. If the environmental organizations
need support, they'll many times make compromises to get that support. If
that means allowing horses, and they value our support, we might get that.

One of the problems here is that we're not well organized enough. As far as
I know, we don't do much, if any, lobbying. We don't have people watching
the legislature to see what might adversely affect us. That's the reality of
politics - if you want to get things done, you get involved. You also don't
ignore those opposed to you - you talk with them. At best you can turn them
into an ally. At worst, you can find out their arguments and think about how
to defeat them.

If we're losing out on trails, then there's a reason for that - the most
likely reason is that we're not playing politics well enough. If these
groups see us as a problem, there's a reason for that, too - could be only
they don't understand our issues or perspectives. Either way, building
bridges generally helps - both figuratively and literally.