[RC] The AL Yellowhammer and Trails - Truman Prevatt

I had a great ride at the AL Yellowhammer and am ready to announce that the Jbird is back. He did everything just like he did before the WN and we are getting ready to rock and roll:-).

But the big news of the weekend comes at an odd juxtaposition with the bad news about trail problems in the west. Two years ago SERA and the Shole creek ranger district of the Talladega NF forged a working partnership. This partnership shows what that land managers and riders working together can move mountains.

With lots of work from volunteers and few bucks from SERA to split the cost for material to put in place 5 bridges, we now have a brand new (actually rerouted )  trail in the TNF. This trail is an absolute blast to ride, it provides recreational opportunities for all horse back riders and it is constructed in such a way (this is where the bridges come in) to insure good water quality and safety from the endangers mussels and darters in the streams. Everybody wins.

To my surprise on Friday night the head ranger at the Shole creek ranger district presented SERA with a very nice plaque and I've included the wording below.

Presented To

THE SOUTHEAST

ENDURANCE RIDERS ASSOCIATION

IN RECOGNITION OF AQUATIC RESOURCES STEWARDSHIP FOR YOUR EXEMPLARY AND

PROACTIVE EFFORT IN TRAIL RELOCATION

AND BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION ON THE

WARDEN STATION HORSE TRAIL SYSTEM

Presented October 31, 2003

By:

SHOAL CREEK RANGER DISTRICT

TALLADEGE NATIONAL FOREST

While I hate to name names it is two people that were instrumental in this effort. Joe Schoech, the chairman of the SERA trails committee works tirelessly promoting trails. Sarah Engsberg has spent the majority of the past two years exploring new trail, clearing new trail, building bridges. I also hear she is one mean mamma with a chain saw.

Every horseman (not just endurance riders) in the Southeast owes these two people a special thanks for their tireless efforts.

It can be done. Working together with land managers, we can move mountains.

Truman