[RC] Public Land's Neighborhood Watch - Lori & Rick Stewart

Land managers need to beware of the unintended consequences of their decisions. Responsible users serve a valuable purpose ? Neighborhood Watch. Large tracts of land cannot be adequately policed by paid personnel. Activity by responsible users creates a deterrent to illegal use. Case in point is the Pennsylvania Game Commission?s decision to drastically restrict access to Game Lands by Mountain Bikers and Horseback riders (for many of the same reasons given by the BLM). With the decrease in public activity caused by cutting out two responsible user groups, illegal use is on the rise (according to newspaper articles). There is more garbage dumping at the parking lots, more ATV activity to the point where freshly planted grassland habitat areas have been ruined, and more beer can litter is being left by "hikers". Plus, I have personally observed Mountain bikers using the Game Lands illegally ? knowing their chances of getting caught are slim. These are the same people who don?t stay on designated trails when access is permitted. I.e. The only ones left out there are the bad apples of every user group. We the responsible users will stay on designated trails, help maintain the trails, and will report illegal activity on OUR public lands. We take an ownership interest because we ARE owners. We form the Neighborhood Watch.