Re: [RC] rider education/public image - Truman Prevatt

RENESPONY@xxxxxx wrote:

i like the term "marathon for horses" (i use it a lot) it implies that just participating and finishing is the reason, not the winning of the event. An "i did it" type of sport.
I don't picture the local jogger entering the Boston marathon, and expecting to finish up front. Why would a local recreation rider expect to do an endurance ride with no prior knowledge of the sport, or how the event is run?

While this expression is a consise way to describe the sport, not all folks that run marathons do so to just run 26 plus miles. Some actually do it to win, be it overall, age category, gender, etc. There are professional runners in the big marathons and there is quite a bit of money around today for professional runners. So depending on who you are talking to depends on how that is interperted. Also the local jogger won't ever appear in the Boston Marathon. You have to qualify with a minimum time (depending on age and gender) for the Boston, NY and other big Marathons and the qualifications are pretty fast. So the Boston is not a good analogy.

I'm sure she was just glossing about her horse, but the idea of running and kicking butt, kind of gave me shivers.

It should

The conversation left me shaking my head. I didn't get the impression she understands.

She doesn't and that's a problem the AERC needs to deal with because if she entries her first endurance ride she is an endurance rider and if she kills her her horse it is an AERC death.

Truman