[RC] alabama yellowhammer - Ed Kilpatrick

thanks to tamra and joe shoech and all their many wonderful volunteers for a truly fantastic ride in the talladega national forest this weekend!  the trails were absolutely gorgeous.  the terrain is steep, rocky, and tough, but boy was it fun!
i tried the 60 mile ride, but was not able to finish.  my horse just ran out of gas after about 40 miles, when we were doing another STEEP climb.   i got off and walked her back in.  she was fine, just tired and leg weary.  this was the first time i pulled from a ride.   guess what!   there is no shame in it.  the vet staff, especially dr. ken marcella, were very complimentary that i chose to come back out on my own and not push my horse too hard.
a special thanks to SERA and the forest service staff for the extra work that has gone into the trails maintenance.   the bridges over the creeks were very well made and horse friendly.
another special thanks to tommy crain and the band for a marvelous performance saturday night.   WOW!   what a way to pass the time waiting for the last riders and the tally sheets.  country rocking blues, i guess you would call it,  it was great!!
thanks again to all who helped make this ride one for the memory book!!     ed kilpatrick