Re: [RC] What's in a name? - Joe Long

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:58:28 -0800, "David LeBlanc"
<dleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It isn't about making anything easy for anyone. Has nothing to do with it in
my mind. It has a lot more to do with not having a first class and second
class within our organization. Has to do with the message it sends to tell a
full member of the American ENDURANCE Ride Conference that they're not an
ENDURANCE rider.

Well, I guess it's because joining an organization does not make one
an endurance rider.  Successfully completing an endurance ride,
whether or not one is a member of the AERC, does that.

I joined the Huntsville Amatuer Radio Club before I got my ham
license.  I did have a CB license, and used CB radio a lot in those
days.   So, did membership in HARC make me a "ham?"  Nope, I had to
pass the exams and get my ham license from the FCC to do that.

Of course, just like with the AERC, I got a lot of welcome and
encouragement from the hams in the club even before I got my ticket.
But then, I didn't go around whining that "I got a CB radio, and I
joined the club, and you guys don't think I'm a real ham!"  Maybe
because I knew I wasn't until I got that ticket.

Hmmm ... something else from HAM radio to think about.  I started with
a technician class license, which had very restricted privileges.
Later I advanced to General, then Advanced class, gaining privileges
with each move up.  I never did get to Expert class, though -- the
code-speed test for that was 20 words per minute, and I didn't use
morse code enough to ever get that fast.  So did I think I was being
discriminated against because the Expert Class guys were allowed to do
things and use spectrum space that I was not allowed to use?  Hell,
no!  They earned it.

And all someone who is riding LD rides, and wants to become an
endurance rider, has to do -- is ride an endurance ride.  No one is
telling them they're not allowed.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx