Re: [RC] What is Real Endurance!! - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

I don't know about real endurance or unreal endurance, but the issue of trails seems to me to be more important than the issue of distance. As a non-starter in the endurance field, but someone who's done a lot of drooling over ride stories, I have to say that I was attracted to endurance by the idea of going difficult places with my horse for a while....not by the idea of seeing how fast I could cover 80 to 160 km of flat trail. When we tried to start endurance here with the help of the UAE/FEI in 2000, even our tiniest hills were tossed out of the course. If they had taken the trail that we wanted to set, it would have wound through bulldozed gravel pits, along ridge tops, and up and down some fairly steep hills in the desert. But, no, the powers that were didn't like the trails and they were set to flat sand....at least it wasn't leveled before the race, unless you count all the 4X4's that preceded the front runners in the 120 km in May.

Fast forward to October 2003. "Endurance" is now firmly in the control of the national federation and the races are set among a small select group of riders. Most of us who ride distance for fun were never even told of the event that occurred last week, but we weren't too sorry not to have been there when we heard how it went. There was an 80 km race that was held in the usual flat area of desert near the Sakkara Country Club. Approximately 20 horses started. 3 finished. 6 died within about 48 hours of the race. 5 were injured so badly that they will not be competing again.

Was there a public announcement of this? No. I've spoken to someone who went to take a look and reported that the federation horses that were looking pretty good last spring had been overtrained to the point of gauntness. Most of the damage was done in the first loop when the idiots were trying to keep up with the one horse that had the capability of moving fast for the distance. By the later stages, the horses that had been pulled weren't even on site....how to kill a sick horse, lesson one. The figures that I've gotten on the outcome are thanks to people who were there in the stables in Giza afterwards and keeping track of the results for the horses.

If our riders had a chance to try endurance that involved the use of their brains and their horses' brains to pick through difficult and technical terrain, they might have learned to ride slower. Unfortunately, they had other role models. Oh Well. Gee Whiz. Good Thing That Arabian Horses Are Cheap In Egypt.

Maybe the concern shouldn't be so much about how long you ride but where and how you have to do it. Tossing brickbats at each other over the meaning of endurance and whether 40 km is enduring or 80 km is enduring may have some value, but don't lose sight of other issues. For me, right now, 40 km is definitely enduring...but 40 flat vs 40 technical is a very important distinction. I don't do "endurance" here because I don't think that simply riding around on flat tracks when there is something else to be done is any kind of test of horsemanship.

Don't get distracted by trivial issues. Pay attention to some of the real issues. Are your trails dumbing down? Is this really how you want things to go? If it continues, what will endurance be then?

Maryanne
in Cairo, where she never wants to see the FEI again.