Re: [RC] [RC] LD's - Laurie Durgin

It's simple really.----To some horse owners horses are a friend, a companion animal , a family member. On the other end you have owners who the horse is a 'business expense', livestock, or a vehicle for their sport. And of course variations of both ends.You see that in all riding sports and competitions. ---Hence the conflicts we are discussing are trying to meld those diverging interests together. . .

And...quite frankly I'm met a ton of people who don't like "endurance riders" and I've always rallied to their support and defense. But upon asking these folks why, it is because of what some of them have observed. I will give you one example and it is not a good one. I have a neighbor who helped out with Tevis in 2002. Would not even think of volunteering this year because he said he was "discusted".

You know why? There was a lady and I wouldn't say her name even if I knew it, whose horse my neighbor was hauling to a hospital in real bad shape. In there conversation, he asked if she was okay (cause he was upset-he loves horses and has 3) cause her horse was so sick. He told me she said "its okay, I've got a ton more at home". He felt that that was soooo cold it turned him off for good. And, whenever I mention even wanting to do a ride that I'm quite enthusiastic about? He trys to sway me not to do it. He was really upset with this gal, cause what he observed was that she didn't care about her horse at all cause she had so many.

Now, that is just one person's bad example. And...my point being...it was on a 100 mile ride not an LD.

So why all the focus on LD. My friend that taught me told me to Always take care of my horse before I even think about myself. And I very much try to do that.

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com