Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] automatic sanctions - DESERTRYDR1

Nancy Mitts asked "Has anyone ever checked into how the carcass could be
disposed of post-necropy in the field,  especially on public land?"

Sorry it's been a while since this was posted.  Somewhere in my stuff at the
office I have a brochure on blowing up a horse carcass.  It details how much
Dynamite to use and where to place it, and has two different options, for
whether you want to destroy every little sliver, or leave some for the
buzzards.  I
kept it because a guy we went into the mountains with one time had an
absolute fit because we were trotting and even GALLOPING along the trails, and
jumping over little branches, none of them more than a foot off the ground.  He
was
convinced we were going to break our horses' legs.  He told us, he was NOT
going to be the one to shoot our horses when we lamed them up beyond repair,
and
how did we think we were going to get them out of the mountains, and dispose
of their poor carcasses, as HE certainly was not going to help us dig the hole.

Every time I look at that brochure, I laugh, thinking how righteously
indignant he was.  He's kind of a backyard cowboy.  One that hardly ever rides,
and
breeds a bunch of scrubby little Arabs with club feet that he never even halter
breaks.

Of course, none of our horses got hurt.  Which I can't say for his, it
stepped off the side of a bridge and scraped it's leg from top to bottom.

Believe me, I am not making light of the horse death situation, but when I
found this brochure, I sent him a copy for his files.  And every time I look at
it, I laugh myself to tears thinking of him being so concerned that we would
lame our horses, and he would have to shoot them, just by riding in the
mountains at something other than a sedate walk.    jeri