[RC] LD's - Kathie Ford

Okay, I've been just lurking (and deleting) for a while now and I am starting to feel upset about some of the stuff I'm reading too about LD's and LD riders.

I've done about 6-8 of them on different horses since about 95 or 96. I would have loved to have done more but I was raising really young kids, ages close together, and financially couldn't do more and was very glad to have what I've had up till now.

The first one I rode was to "learn" about the sport and to "learn" to take proper care of a horse.  I couldn't even conceive the thought of doing a 50.  Even though I have athletic ability, I was never really that interested in sports until "horses" came into my life via my oldest daughter.

None the less, I rode a friends morgan when he was 19 along side his owner on another horse and then she told me to ride my own ride with him when he was 20.  This horse and his owner were familiar with 50's and he did pretty good for a short stocky foundation type of morgan.  Infact I thought he was pretty cool.  I then eventually rode my own "new horse" with my daugher and her "new" horse a year or so after that.  And we did this to see if we AND our horses even would enjoy this sport.

My big mare Spirit did just fine even thought she doesn't fit the mold.  Actually, she has a big heart, a BIG trot, and really liked going down the trail.  But her legs would not support her in this sport so I only rode her on one ride and just ride a little of this and a little of that with her.

Eventually down the line we ended up with 6 horses.  Three or four of which either have done or will do some sort of competing.  But for me there is now way I'm gonna start at a 50.  I like the LD's for now, I'm learning a lot, and so far our horses have been pretty manageable and well mannered during a ride.  I do have one most likely ready for a 50 but I won't take her till I feel ready and make sure she'll do okay.  I would do nothing to compromise her health.  I have gotten a 9th place and most last.  And to tell you the truth I don't care where I come in at all regardless of the distance I would choose to ride even if it were 50's!  I'm out there to have fun with my horse, to enjoy the beautiful outdoors God created, (thanking Him as I ride..lol), and to build a real bond, a special friendship with my horse.  Frankly, I like all my horses more than most people I know!  Really I do. They don't complain, are usually thankful for their care, and if treated with respect, love and good care are very very loyal.  They never call you names, or insult you, and they are good for the soul!

Anyway, sorry about being long winded, but I'm really getting upset with all this LD stuff.  I have written emails back and forth to some wonderful people who have been very helpful even when I pester them with too many questions.  This is a good forum.

But I have to say I'm starting to really get turned off with all these comments.  And so what if 25 miles isn't considered real endurance!  It sure is for some of us!! lol  In my book it is endurance when compared to a horse show, or an hour of arena work (which I do do and am not knocking at all-just the time reference of it).

And...quite frankly I'm met a ton of people who don't like "endurance riders" and I've always rallied to their support and defense.  But upon asking these folks why, it is because of what some of them have observed.  I will give you one example and it is not a good one.  I have a neighbor who helped out with Tevis in 2002.  Would not even think of volunteering this year because he said he was "discusted".

You know why?  There was a lady and I wouldn't say her name even if I knew it, whose horse my neighbor was hauling to a hospital in real bad shape.  In there conversation, he asked if she was okay (cause he was upset-he loves horses and has 3) cause her horse was so sick.  He told me she said "its okay, I've got a ton more at home".  He felt that that was soooo cold it turned him off for good.  And, whenever I mention even wanting to do a ride that I'm quite enthusiastic about?  He trys to sway me not to do it.  He was really upset with this gal, cause what he observed was that she didn't care about her horse at all cause she had so many.

Now, that is just one person's bad example.  And...my point being...it was on a 100 mile ride not an LD.

So why all the focus on LD.  My friend that taught me told me to Always take care of my horse before I even think about myself.  And I very much try to do that.

Please don't zero in on one group. It is good to care, and speak up if necessary, but not to preach how bad LD'ers are.  We are supposed to be grown ups not children.
I would actually resent being forced to do a year of LD's.  I do miles and miles at home just fine, and personally I don't have to $$ to do all the rides I'd like.  I learn just as much about my horse riding her on a trail as I would in a ride.  Truly, what is the difference?  I ride at speed sometimes, sometimes just walk, or do intervals, or just enjoy my horse.  I have to still pay attention to her hydration, gut sounds, etc on a plain trail ride.  What's the difference?  I scrutinize over her when I get home to make sure she is okay, just as if I were at a ride...its all learning...every time we mount..don't you think so?  So why a year of LD's?  I don't get it.

So please let us all be and just do what we can and enjoy doing.  Mentoring is wonderful and I've found a few really great people I can talk to. But I did the asking first because I wanted to learn not because I was made to.

Horsepeople are all passionate, and opinionated;  obviously myself included.  So lets not get nasty or crazy about it and put all this to rest. Please...

kathie