[RC] Fw: Owyhee Canyonlands Day 1 story long - Paddi

----- Original Message -----
From: Paddi
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 5:44 PM
Subject: Owyhee Canyonlands Day 1 story long

Day 1 50 miles
Anyone out there who knows the Great Santini knows he does not like to be caught and he can't be tied up.
(Santini was rescued from the meat truck so he came with some problems that because he is so nice you work with.)
The start time was 8 am.
I got up at 5 and got my stuff ready. Steph and John were going to be to busy to help me catch Santini so I allowed lots of time to catch and saddle him. He was in  a smaller pen with his friend Ben the bucking horse. I was not taking chances so I loaded my pockets with the special cookies and headed to catch the evasive Santini at 6 am.
My homework the day before paid off. I had been going into the pen feeding him and leaving, then going in feeding him touching his nose and leaving, then going in the pen feeding him and touching his neck and leaving. By the end of the day he was looking forward to me showing up.
I fed him a cookie , slipped my arms around his neck and put on the halter. That was easy but now I had Santini caught and it was dark and 2 hours from start time. I could not tie him up so I decided to take my chances that he would let me do this twice. Santini is very smart and tricks only work once , twice if you are lucky.
I left the halter on him , went to eat something and when I came back he came right up for a cookie.
 Piece of cake.
Lucky for me Stephs neighbour was willing to hold him while I saddled him. He moved away everytime I went to put the saddle on. He always has a sly grin so you know he is well aware of what he is up to.
I think the cookies I had been feeding him contributed to the fact he was far more interested in exploring my jacket pockets then standing still. Hard to saddle a horse that has his face in your pocket.
Santini comes with an english saddle that fits him like a glove. He tends to girth gall so I greased him well and left the girth loose. The wihters on this  boy should holda saddle.
The plan was to ride at the back and do a slow 50.  Santini is very well know and everyone laughed wihen I said we were going slow.

He was a little restless and dancing but content. We headed out at the back of the midpack.
Santini turned into a hot little pistol. I had him pulled in and he was flying. If you can't go forward then you gotta go up.
What a fun little horse.
My hands were running out of skin and he was not happy so I made an agreement with him. He could do what he wanted and I would stay on.
 We were off at a great trot (somewhat under control) passing riders. I would say sorry cause they were obviously going slow and started at the back to avoid the likes of us.
I was asked who are you riding??? I would answer Santini and they would go ...oh!!!! in a knowing way , laugh and wish me luck

mmmmmm the day was starting to look interesting and we had just started out.
Once we were on our he settled and just trotted along at a nice even pace. I was really beginning to love this little horse. He is kind of like riding a sewing machine or an egg beater but he is fun. He skipped along the trail sometimes trotting , sometimes a slow canter.
I was singing songs to him making up words as we went. I like a horse that likes my singing since few people will stay with in earshot of my vocals.
Yup this was going to be a FUN, FUN ride.
We had passed a bunch of riders , we were out in the desert alone, sun shining, breeze blowing , skipping along (keeping one watchful eye out for snakes) with out a care in the world. Santini was on loose rein and I had figured out how to stay balanced in his English saddle.
Santini caught up to Lisa I think her name was. (sorry I am bad with names) She is one of these riders that dirt does not stick to. She rides beautifully balanced , had on a nice yellow shirt and looked really together.
I on the other hand was smeared in dirt , dust and other unknown stains. Heck I look like that as soon as I put on clean clothes. Like Enddust I am a dirt magnet.
Well  somewhere along the trail we came to a water tank. Lisa was off her horse and Santini dribbled water and spit down her arm and on her shirt. I felt bad and  said sorry. She was a great sport and said it was okay  wiping the wet off her shoulder. Now if that had been me it would have left a big slimmy green mark from start to finish. On Lisa it just wiped away.
I am always amazed when someone can stay clean. She looked better at the end of 50 miles in 80 plus heat then most of us look before we start.
When we got into the vet check Santini pulsed down right away and got great scores on his vet card. He gobbled his food and looked great. I left the vet check and rode with the other Patty ( Mickey Mouse on Halloween day) and her partner whose name I have misplaced in my brain.
We had a nice ride together and some good laughs on the trail.  Sue Hedgecock came along on Montana ( She was first but went the wrong way) You should see Steph drive her little car on the trails chasing Sue. WOW
Santini fell right in behind Montana happy as a clam and away we went.
We were still under the agreement he could do what he wanted and I would stay on.
The 2 horses worked great together and we just kept cruising.
As we came around the trail heading towards home Santini gave great big kick up my heels I am having a great day buck. He felt like a million bucks ...oooops bad term..lol
We walked and trotted in for a 7th place finish .
It is to bad Sue went the wrong way but on the up side we would not have rode together if she hadn't.
Santini and I had a great day together.
What a fabulous little horse. He is the Great Amazing Santini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Steph and John!!!

Paddi Sprecher

Canadian Distributor for Dixie Midnight No-Sweat Vent Pads
EasyCare Canada
Biothane Tack, Skito Equalizer Pads
Yacht Braid Horse equipment