Re: [RC] Rigging options for existing sportsaddle - Karen Sullivan

Hi Karen. I have ridden sport saddles on a variety of different shaped
horses
for 10 years, including ones, that, like you say, have the cinch slide
forward to
right behind the elbows, to hot-dog shaped horses where the saddle tends to
want
to slide back.

My overall feeling is that the saddle is going to find the "right spot" on
the horses
back and sort of snug in.  Cruppers and breastcollars should not be used for
the
function of keeping the saddle in some sort of place.  Even with those
horses whom
had the conformation to nudge the cinch forward; I never had any problems as
long
as I pulled the leg forward after cinching.

As to cinching from the saddle because some sort of compression needed on
the skito
oad...I have to say, WHOA, because you should not be cinching these saddles
down tight.
I typically put skito pad on, then saddle, girth up snugly, and maybe take
it up another hole or two.
It should never be really tight.  My favorite cinch is a neoprene one with
elastic ends, sold by
Chicks, called a sweet spot cinch. The horses really appreciate the elastic.
Using this cinch, I can
cinch loosely and not have the saddle slip.  Sometimes i even have a bit of
air between cinch and horse.

The only time I feel I need to get off and perhaps check a cinch is in the
very cold winter, when the skito foam
is hard.....and will not compress until warmed by the horses back.  But I
can fix this by putting the pad in my truck
while hauling to a trail, or saddle the horse at home, haul her to the
trail, then tighten.

However, I feel the majority of people cinch too tight anyway....I do not
believe in heaving it up with all
your strentgh, or these belly buster devices.....

Just my two cents worth....
Karen
-----

I've had my sport saddle for about four months now, and I really like it -
I'm finally getting used to riding in it.

I only have one problem, and that is with the cinch. My mare is extremely
round (and FAT right now), and the cinch keeps on sliding forward - I'm
using a crupper to keep the saddle in place (she has round shoulders and
almost no withers), but the cinch continues to slide up to right behind
her
elbows.

To add another twist, I have a difficult time adjusting the cinch from the
saddle - and since I'm using a skito pad, which compresses after warmup, I
really need to be able to do this (If I get off to do it, it defeats the
purpose - without my weight in the saddle, the pad pops back up). When I
rode English, I had no problems, because there were two billet straps to
adjust - I could adjust one, then the other. But right now, I keep losing
the cinch strap when I adjust (I'm using sportacks quick cinch, which is
easier than a standard cinch, but still a problem).

I saw in one of the classifieds that someone has set up a "V" rigging on
their saddle. Can someone explain this to me? It seems from the pictures
that they loop the cinch strap through the back D ring on the saddle. An
ideal situation for me would be a type of center fire rigging using the
sportack option that provides two billet straps - but the saddle is not
configured for that - just the standard endurance model.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Karen and Mazzie

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has
exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es