[RC] this and that - Chipnml

Okay.  I've been wading through all my ridecamp email for a few weeks now, and am ready to air my own views!

First, I don't know what all the hoopla is about LD vs endurance.  I do endurance.  I like the challenge, and knowing I have to be much more on the ball to bring my horse through successfully.  My best friend in this sport does LD and CTR (Hi Bev, if you're reading this).  Do I respect her less for this?  Of course not.  She is an exemplary horse person both riding and in the care of her horses.  There is enough room in this sport for everyone!  For me, and everyone I know it is a NON-ISSUE.

Also, I have my own "famous person story" to relate.  Many years ago, the one and only time I went to the AERC convention, I stood behind Becky Hart waiting to check in.  I regret to say I never said anything to her.  Just stood there dumbstruck trying to act cool and aloof, thinking if I talked to her I'd sound like an idiot12-year-old at a Boyz To Men concert.  I'm still sorry I never said anything.

Finally, I think constantly of all the horse owners at risk in California.  I wish there was something I could do to help, but I live on the frozen tundra of Minnesota.  Is there a reputable hooved animal society I could make a donation to which will go directly to horse rescue?  One who's credentials I could check out (I'm a new enough used of the internet to be a little suspicious)?  I made a promise to myself to donate $10 to a hooved animal humane society for every ride I completed this season, and would like part of it to go to horse rescue in California.  That's 12 rides this year.  600 miles, no pulls, and we passed our 2000 miles.  I also came in last or close-to-last at every ride.  Who cares!  I had fun!

Chip