[RC] rider education/public image - RENESPONY

i was talking to a girl who WORKS AT THE LOCAL TACK SHOP. about
trail/endurance rides easyboots,electolyte that they stock etc. she mentioned
was planning
on  trying a ride next year.
she said "endurance? aint that where you go real fast and gallop a lot? my
horse could kick butt, she's real fast"
plus some other comments in the course of conversation that ment she had no
clue about the type of sport i was discussing.
i of course set her straight, and told her about web sites and the regional
ride organization, invited her to ride with me, etc. but is this what people
think? she is young but has been around a lot and is one of those self-
proclaimed horse "trainers".
she is someone who could easily sign up for a ride and show up with her horse.
now that strikes me as scary. you could easily not know the rules, or ignore
them as guidelines. most people don't read the small print, type stuff. why
don't people research things before they dive into them???
this is a horse person working at the local tack shop, (for a few years i
understand) who i asked about endurance saddles, and supplies, not some average
slob on the city street.
i wonder how often this happens. what can the endurance world do about its
image.
i like the term "marathon for horses" (i use it a lot) it implies that just
participating and finishing is the reason, not the winning of the event.
An "i did it" type of sport.
I don't picture the local jogger entering the Boston marathon, and expecting
to finish up front. Why would a local recreation rider expect to do an
endurance ride with no prior knowledge of the sport, or how the event is run?
I'm sure she was just glossing about her horse, but the idea of running and
kicking butt, kind of gave me shivers.
The conversation left me shaking my head. I didn't get the impression she
understands.
I'm sure you guys can chirp in on this.......

Rene