[RC] Re:tetanus - CMNewell

There are two flavors of "tetanus shots".
One, the one usually combined with EEE/WEE in the standard "spring shot" is tetanus toxoid. That is an inactivated form of the toxin produced by Clostridium tetani which stimulates the production of antibodies to said toxin.

The other is tetanus antitoxin. (often seen as TAT). That is serum from hyperimmunized horses which is used to block the toxin in an animal exposed to tetanus which has not been previously vaccinated (or which is way overdue for vaccination). This product has been associated with the subsequent development of Theiler's disease , also known as acute idiopathic hepatitis. It is not know whether this is due to contamination of the serum with an as yet unidentified virus or other pathogen, or whether it is an acute hypersensitivity reaction.

Things may have changed since I was in school, but at that time, I was taught that this phenomenon had *not* been observed in foals, just adult horses. The recommendation was to avoid use of TAT in adult horses whenever possible.

My practice is to avoid use of the stuff altogether, unless I suspect tetanus. Better to make sure a pregnant mare is current on tetanus immunizations, timed so that her colostrum is high in antibodies, and that other stock be kept current as well, so that they can be boostered with the regular TT in the event of a puncture wound.
--CMNewell, DVM