[RC] colic conversation - terre

This will make more sense if you start at the bottom and read up!

Subject: Re: [RC]   ? for the vets
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:22:46 -0600

Hi,
You can go ahead a post it to the list.
Becky spoke of this at our convention two years ago.  The best I can tell you is that at home it is usually food related and at a ride it is a metabolic imbalance.
Our horses that died were a father and three sons, all at least 75% Russian.  The other was a totally unrelated Straight Russian mare.  So in the boys' case, gender and genetics may have had a big influence.
Unfortunately as far as  pain goes, it can range from dropping almost immediately (water colic) to a long fairly mild case (toxic reaction), to a severe pain(enterolith).  One thing about ruptured stomachs is that when they do rupture, the horse feels pretty good for a few minutes (the pressure is off) and then they get very bad.  We had taken our stallion to OSU, 2 hours away, and when he got out of the trailer I thought "wow, he doesn't even need to go in, he's doing so well".  Then he got very bad, they did a stomach tap and put him down.
Better? :)
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians