[RC] ? for the vets - sandy . l . holder

From: Merryben@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   ? for the vets

In a message dated 10/28/2003 1:47:36 PM Central Standard Time,
tobytrot@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> So, personally, if a horse of mine gets into trouble at a ride, I'm
> gonna do what the guy/gal with DVM after their name recommends.

At last, a voice of reason...............

DVM's: At a recent ride (Calero 50), my horse Tally and I had a wonderful time - until the post check.  It's been 3 years since he was rescued - he was a total nervous wreck then and severely underweight - and even though the advise of several trainers was NOT to get him, he's done incredibly well.  They're amazed (he's really not the same horse he was).  Throughout the ride - his 3rd 50, he was doing the EDPP thing very very well.  We came in, he immediately pulsed down, drank some water and we headed over slowly to get checked out.  Everything seemed to be fine, he was quite alert, ears forward, etc., everything.  The DVM checked him out, then my girlfriend trotted him out. . . on the recheck the DVM (Michele) said: "he's thumping. . . ".  Well, it blew me away, emotionally, etc.  Michele offered to draw blood, a great idea under the circumstances.  Keep in mind, we'd been e-lyting! as appropriate throughout the day (post eating and drinking).  Guts sounds - fine, hydration - good, just barely thumping.  Well, took him over, let him eat some more, drink good and then e-lyted him with different e-lytes, as it's suppose to be an e-lyte imbalance.  After 1 1/2 hours, he wasn't thumping (by now Michele had shown me how to check with a stethoscope) at all. . . but I was really shook up (did I ride too fast - 9 1/2 hours total time, and he was in really good condition when we finished - not just my opinion but had quite a few folks check him out, training had been really good 10 - 20 miles during the week, 20 miles one day on the weekend).  Only difference was he didn't have his buddy with him (a mare actually).

So we ran his blood (spun down on Sun. & results run on Monday) and here are the results: e-lytes = all in normal range (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.); muscle enzymes = fine, hydration = a little bit low but nothing to speak of.  So what happened?  The only thing left to check (I get the print out on Saturday) is the calcium/magnesium ratio.  My e-lytes are 1:1 which is not what it needs to be I'm told by experienced folks.  Am I still an emotional basket case, yes, and don't want to do any more rides.  Michele has offered to look at the total picture (feed, exercise, etc.) - which was such a wonderful gesture it still brings tears to my eyes.  Some people might say, oh, it's just thumps, but to me, its devastating. . . so I'm hoping to learn what happened and why, and in the meantime, have ordered a new trailer door (yes - I forgot to mention I was the one that had to have it pried open the night bef! ore the ride).  .

All I can say is, I really appreciate the folks with DVM after their name. . . .