[RC] [Guest] Hallelujah 50 - Ridecamp Moderator

Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used to wonder how folks could recount their ride story and not know who finished where or how fast and what the horses' names were...Hah! Lippy (my Arab-Appy) and I just completed our second 50, and I can tell you, I'm lucky to remember what WE did, the wonderful ride went by in such a blur.

As reported, the trails were fun and fast, sandy, mostly packed sand, with some twisty narrow sections and two-track through pines. Four loops, 15-10-15-10 miles, with 30 minute holds. We never waited at the checks, and we got vetted in by a pleasant fellow who held out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Kerry Ridgeway." He might as well have said "I'm Robert Redford", I was glad he didn't check my pulse. It's wonderful to be involved in a sport where complete beginners can interact with those who have made it what it is.

We got really lucky on the weather, high 60s to 70 in the afternoon. I rode with a few different folks, and Lippy got to work on his bigger trot, instead of that Western Pleasure thing he seems to do on our solo training rides. Patsy Gowen and her Thundarr, who kept loping along at age 21 (Thundarr, that is), pulling on her most of the way. Roxanne on a former track horse and breeding stallion now gelded, who was a perfect gentleman and tuned into her to make me jealous. Thomas and Gina Hagis who laughed and talked as we rode. Irina and a young gelding she had raised and trained herself. What a sport.

I thought the neatest moment was after the 25/50 miler awards (great ones for those fast folks), it was dark, generators and floodlights going for the 75 and 100 milers, and a big cheer arose for the last pair heading out for their last loop. Everyone finishing in the daylight knew what that must take to persevere to do those extra miles, both in training and on ride day. What a sport.

Hugh turnout for the 25--75 or so, 39 folks I think for the 50, 7 in the 75, 10 in the 100. But I sure couldn't tell you who did what, except that there were a lot of smiles. Great management, vets and volonteers.

Deb Ambrose and Lippy (100 miles now!)