[RC] vets?--colic - terre

Haven't heard a definitive answer back from any vets yet re: whether stomach ruptures can occur other than as a result of an impaction colic--but several people have posted me privately with examples indicating that they can.
So here, in a very convoluted way, is what I am interested in:
The most frightening thing, to me, is the horses that suddenly get into trouble, or even die, for no apparent reason. These would be fit, experienced horses ridden well within their capabilities that give no notice to their highly competent riders and vets that there is anything wrong--pass all parameters, etc--and then just suddenly crash. It is frightening because we don't know why it happens, and so we have no way to prevent it; and it does seem to be able to 'happen to anybody'.
At least some of these horses seem to be presenting a ruptured stomach, which apparently does not produce the kind of pain an intestinal colic does, and so is harder to detect. We may be diagnosing them better because it is easier now to ship to clinics, etc; perhaps riders are more inclined to ask for necropsies...But even when the cause of death is 'ruptured stomach', we still don't know WHY it ruptured, especially in the absence of an impaction colic.
So, my question is: could this be the result of a cumulative effect? Perhaps many small colics, or episodes of stomach distension that may not even have been noticed? We know that some things--especially tying up--can have a cumulative effect. Each episode causes a little more kidney damage until the result can be renal failure. Many times, once a horse does something once--thump, for example--they are more prone to do it again unless the rider makes heroic efforts to prevent it. Could this also be true of 'colic'? How could we know? Are "colics" at rides identical with "colics" at home? Do they/can they produce cumulative damage that can rise up and bite us without notice?
The GI tract is the horse's "weakest link". (to disagree with Howard that it is poorly designed; we are just not using it in the way nature intended). I wonder if many horses don't "die of colic" because the heart is simply too strong to fail them, and something has to give...
What do you all think?

terre