[RC] Hallelujah Ride Fun - Ed Roley

My daughter and I got to ride the 25 near Camden, SC this weekend. Camden is horse country and the ride site sat in the middle of fox hunting area. The weather was perfect.

During the vet in my daughters Thoroughbred was acting crazy. Normally calm and quiet she was antsy while in line and during the trot out was bucking and kicking and pulling my little 115lb daughter all over the place. It was plain scary and definitely out of character for this horse! We took them back to the trailer and tacked up and took a warm up ride and she was fine and dandy. No problems what so ever. My daughter was having fun doing all the jumps on the trails for the fox hunters. I had to drag her out of the woods or she'd still be out there jumping!

The morning came and it was clear and cool but not cold. There were about 76 starters. The trail was opened and that big ol' thoroughbred took off and Sawyer(my guy) had to try and keep up with his pasture buddy. It was actually good we were out in front of everybody as with 76 horses if you are in the pack it can be a mess. We started down a little road but turned onto the trail system. The trails have jumps scattered along them and to avoid the jump the trail does a little half circle around them. My daughter didn't think twice about it and took at least the first 3 jumps. I was behind her watching(or going around) and it looked absolutely effortless on the part of the horse or Ali. She eventually rode away from me as Sawyer just couldn't carry my fat butt that fast.

The course was absolutely flat. Footing was packed sand most of the way and occasionally deep sand but generally there was nothing to slow you down. Sawyer and I have never done a 25 so fast! It amazed me how fast he went for the distance. We rarely trotted. At the check Ali had a "logistical" problem and didn't get pulsed in as fast as the rest of the leaders and ended up having to wait on me. So we went out together on the second loop and again she was going over jumps! There were a couple of other riders who went out with us. We all ended up 6th through 9th with Ali being 7th and Sawyer and I being 9th. This was our personal best as far as time was considered. The trail may have actually been measured slightly short but I know I have never gone that fast that long!

I know there is always a debate about racing/riding. I always consider it a race! I am racing to see if my horse and I can do better than we have done before. Not so much about where we come in related to others but how we match up against ourselves from previous rides and amount of training we have been able to do. Due to many factors I don't get to train and go to as many rides as I would like. I would prefer to do 50's but my riding time has been so limited lately it just didn't seem feasible. It's also fun to ride with Ali who doesn't WANT to do 50's.

The horses were fine and dandy despite the speed and certainly seemed as if they could do another 25. My guy did was slightly off but I believe it was related to the fact I have a knee that was really hurting the first loop which caused me to be somewhat off balanced trying to protect my knee. My knee actually got better as the ride wore on.

Lucie Hancock is a class act putting on a good ride! Thanks Lucie and all her ride volunteers!