[RC] High Desert Classic II 2003 - Typef

Dear RideCamp:

I've just returned from Ft. Churchill, NV where I attended the High Desert Classic II 30. WHAT a great ride! Years ago, I thought the desert was ugly. As I've "grown up," I've come to see just how beautiful it is. I was truly looking forward to this ride, even though I had to go by myself, without my ever-attentive crew husband Jim, and my riding buddy Liz had previous commitments. So off for a 5-hour drive over Donner Pass by myself to sleep in a tent in the freezing cold. No doubt about it, it was worth the drive!

For those who'd like to skip right to the picture slide show:

Friday night found me visiting with John and Meredith Mayeroff who were camped next to me. I'd never met these people before but amazingly, they knew all about me and my new horse Tank. Seems they are good friends of my friends the Kirkpatricks and knew all about Toni and Diane Dann bringing him here for me from Idaho. I keep forgetting what a small world this endurance family is!

I settled down in my tent, wrapped in a double sleeping blanket, a flannel sheet, riding pants layered with sweat pants, two pairs of socks, a hooded sweatshirt and a down jacket. That was perfect. Nice and cozy. Until midnight came and a double set of hoofs came flying down the road next to my tent. The dreaded loose horse scene. I debated about whether to abandon my cozy cocoon as the two horses milled around Tank making him a little stircrazy as their owners tryed in vain to catch them. I decided to risk getting cold and go out and help. Took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't get my shoes on because of the extra pair of socks. By this time, the horses were off across camp. By the time I got out there, I could hear them galloping off into the distance down the dirt road leading to the highway with their owners following in their vehicle. Oh, THIS is good. I'd forgotten there was a cattle guard down there. Whew! Back they came galloping, all the way across camp, to mill around my horse and the horses across the way. I think they'd finally had enough of running because it didn't take me long to sweat talk them into letting me get close enough to catch one. I didn't turn on my flashlight because I didn't want to scare them and I couldn't see a thing, just blindly walked in their direction, hoping I wasn't gonna trip over a rock. Got the second one caught and yelled for their owners. They were very grateful. Now, to get back in that tent! I never did get warm the rest of the night but it was worth it. I would hope someone would do the same thing for me.

Saturday dawned awfully darn chilly. It was tough for me to even think about getting out of the tent because I thought I would freeze to death. However, once I did, I found it wasn't that bad. Ok, so the baby wipes I was going to use to wash my face were frozen together and there was ice on the side of the bottle of Gatorade I left out. But once I were moving around, I didn't even notice how cold it was, except for that one foot in the stirrup that seemed to be asleep, or frozen, or something. :)

The evening before I had looked around for Ann and Alyssa Hall. Hal had emailed me the night before about their trailer they had for sale and told me they'd be there and looked forward to visiting. I was disappointed I couldn't find them. Well, I wasn't disappointed long. As we started down the trail, there was something familiar about the rider in front of me. Ann? Jackie? Hi!!! Ann and I had a terrific time riding together and talked about everything under the sun and then some. I was truly disappointed Alyssa was not able to join her. She was so much fun to ride with last year on the Fireworks ride. Ann was riding a cute little six-year-old mare named Susie who was just as sweet as she could be. "Supposedly" she's going to be Alyssa's new horse, but I don't know ... I think Ann likes her just a little too much!

We made good time to the lunch stop, just jogging along. We only had to walk a couple of miles through some sandy wash and a few rocky areas. Unfortunately, I had played with the lengh of one stirrup before the start of the ride and by lunch, my lower back was screaming. I fixed it, but by that time, the damage was done. So Ann jogged on ahead and I stopped and took more pictures, walked a little and then let Tank do The Big Trot to catch up. He was much happier that way anyway 'cuz he likes to do The Big Trot. It was great training for Susie also, going ahead and then getting caught up with and then passed. At least that's what Ann and I were telling ourselves. However, it doesn't seem like Susie cares one way or the other about anything. She just jogged, jogged, jogged.

The scenery was nothing short of outstanding, beautiful red rocks, multi-colored cottonwood trees, a great section of creek jungle that oddly reminded everyone of the Pirates of the Carribean with all the skeleton-like dead trees strewn everywhere. It was hard NOT to stop and just stare.

There were only 8 riders on the 30, Ann finished 2nd and I third. Everyone finished, I think, within 15-20 minutes of each other. We were all done in 4:45 riding time. Tank put on his show face for vet-in and did the big trot, arched neck, high tail thing, which so far, he's avoided at final vet-ins, always causing the vets to give him a B for impulsion. This time, he was all show and his vet card showed it. He got A's across the board and how proud am I??? ...  He got the Horse Excellence Award! A beautiful rump rug handmade and embroidered with "High Desert Horse of Excellence" on it, made lovingly by Heidi Vargo. Way to Go, Tank!

In the small world category, during dinner I met Tracy Mayes from Reno, and we chatted at length. During the awards her name was called for 11th place on the 50, riding LA Stepper. My jaw dropped. Last year when my daughter was ready to purchase a new horse, she rode LA Stepper, but he didn't do "it" for her. But I wanted him. But at the time, I wasn't in the market for a new horse and didn't have the money required to purchase him. I lay awake for a couple of nights thinking about him. A couple of weeks went by. My husband said "buy the horse." (What a guy!) I called, he was already sold. To Tracy Mayes. And she just adores him. Of course, I found my Tank and I am just totally in love with him. As they say, things happen for a reason. We both are very lucky to have found the horse of our dreams.

I SO wanted to stay today and ride the Lake Lahontan part of the ride and see the wild Mustangs. But I have a magazine deadline to meet. They said there are 9 different herds who roam the lake bed and that they would come within 30-40 yards of us while we were riding. Boy, what an experience that must be. I made a promise I'd be back next year to get the full experience of the High Desert Classic.

Thanks so much to the ride managers The Uphams and Heidi Vargo for a job well done!

:) Jackie and Tank

P.S. I fiddled with a new slide show package to put the captions on and the ones I didn't have some stupid little 4R thing under them. Too tired to fix! :)