RE: [RC] Unlicensed vets? - eznet

An unlicensed vet is a veterinarian who has the same training as other veterinarians, but for some reason (probably that his or her job doesn't require it) is not paying a , often substantial, yearly license fee to a state or province. They may work in research, for a university or drug company or as a meat inspector. Because these people have more regular jobs they may be somewhat more available to spend their weekends as endurance vets. Some of them are very good at it. The treatment vet, who needs to have the equipment , probably is a licensed vet.  Libby Llop
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Amy Cieri
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 2:23 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Unlicensed vets?

How can this be?! I was not aware that this was allowed. How can such a rigorous sport allow unlicensed practitioners? I've never had a horse treated so I haven't experienced this personally, but I wouldn't have thought to ask a ride manager if the "vet" is licensed. Seems like this is a serious oversight and something that needs to be changed pronto.
Are there any documented cases of an unlicensed practitioner treating a horse who subsequently had a poor outcome directly related to their emergency treatment? How difficult is it for ride managers to hire licensed vets? Do you assign an unlicensed vet to the treatment tent or limit them to vetting out horses?
Is there a difference in their training?

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=