Re: [RC] LD vs 50--Let's ruffle some feathers - Lynne Glazer

Joane,

Because with one hand AERC says "it's a race" by only allowing the top ten to show for BC, with full weight and time calculated just like the 50s.

Then "it's not a race" by printing names only without placement or times in EN.

More variation between rides in regions without a regional organization? Possibly, maybe not. Ours (PS) is one w/o a regional org., and all but one of us treat the LDs the same as the 50s in terms of BCs and completion awards. One ride (Coso Junction Jam) even has the same entry fee for both distances, can't get more equal than that! <tongue firmly lodged in cheek> The last time I remember different completion awards for each distance (PS) was back in '97 or so.

A number of us have given the AERC-style LD BC thing a try. Most of us give high vet score type awards to LD only, and often that's to 5 places.

I would really like the dichotomy to go away--either it's a race or it's a ride, OR it's a race AND it's a ride (the way the 50s are, there's a "winner", and those of us who feel to complete is to win--room for both types of riders). So if the organization has decided that it's BOTH, then give LDers their placement and ride times published in EN!

There's nothing that precludes RMs from emphasizing completion in their award structure. No need to give a first place award, would just require reporting it.

(I use Angie's old suggestion of an entry to the next year's 50 as my first place award for LDs...I call it the "Hot Shoes" award and present a certificate on red paper, with the graphic of shoes with wings, always good for a chuckle. Likewise we give turtle awards for both distances, usually something practical like saddlebags--you're gonna need something to pack a lunch in if you're gonna be out there that long!)

Lynne