From: Laura
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] 25 LD

There is a lot of talk (opinions) as to how people and horses should enter the sport of endurance.  With everything being thrown around it appears the ultimate outcome that is trying to be achieved is the same.  The objective is to educate.....  The more educated we become as riders and "owners/caretakers" of our horses the better off everyone and every horse would be.

In support of the suggestion of LDs for a year it really is not such a bad thing to educate not only ourselves but our horses as to "how it is done" and what we expect. Riding 25 miles "training in familiar territory" and traveling to a competition are totally different experiences for not only the rider but also the horse.  Put yourself in your horses position..... The demands we place on them at a moments notice ex: change diet today, add more oil, run run run, more electrolytes, run, run, run... no stop, drink ,no dont eat so much at once, stand still let me pour this water on while I want you to drink and heart rate to come down, come on come on drop your heart rate, your dehydrated drink,drink,drink, more electrolytes let me shove them down your throat.....and on and on and on..( I am not saying everyone does this I am just generalizing and trying to make a point) Do you do this on your training rides?
People we seem to be losing focus.. I read the posts on ride camp in hopes to better educate myself..It seems the point is being missed and people are becoming so critical of others . However , we as competitors  with a common interest (horses) need to be willing to be open minded and listen to other people and  their horse experiences without  becomming critical.
Listen and Learn and with all the wealth of knowledge and hands on experience brought to light on ride camp it seems to defeat the purpose of educating if all we do is criticize.

Laura