[RC] Ironman/pacing/pos. reinforcement - rides2far

I was wondering if it would help just to require a rider to be
"sponsored"
(like we do the juniors) by an AERC-approved mentor (who would receive some
(points?) incentive for sponsoring a first-time rider. (?)

I think the worst thing you can do is make a deal to stay with someone before
your horses have ridden together. Thats another reason I don't like for someone
else to sponsor my junior unless I have ridden with them before and know the
pace their horse holds. It's just way too easy to have your horse overextend to
try to match up with the wrong horse. What can feel totally effortless on one
horse may be "over riding" on the other. The "mentor" isn't aware just how much
it's taking out of the newbie's horse and the newbie would be trusting the
mentor to pace.

Somebody today said, "That's a new idea POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT". I've got news
for you. We've been handing out positive reinforcement for the wrong thing for
a long time. How many times have you seen someone's name called out for top
five and somebody in the crowd proudly announces "this is her first ride!" and
everybody claps and voices admiration.I don't care if they got away with it
this time, it's the wrong message but not to congratulate them makes the
"oldbie" look bitter or jealous.

 I try to make a special effort to tell newbies who finished back in the pack
that I admire their caution and concervative pacing. If I ever manage another
ride I'm going to try to remember to make a big deal over that. I'll never
forget getting a pair of spurs for the tail end award when I did my first
Arab's first 50. The joke was, "This'll help you speed him up". My reaction
was, "It's our first ride, who better to be last?" I think I should have gotten
a little diploma for being smart. :-)

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!