[RC] different strokes for different folks - Gary Daniels

Hi guys & gals:

Just wanted to make a few comments on LD rides.  I think it’s wrong to “generalize” LD rides vs. 50+ mile rides.  I personally don’t like LD rides – most of the time it takes me over 5 hrs to get to the nearest ride, then set up camp, take off from work, etc.etc. only to ride 25 miles.  But as far as whether they are a good thing or bad thing:

About two weeks ago I broke my own rule and decided to enter an LD ride.  I brought back my lovely gelding after over a year lay-off due to a bowed tendon injury.  I entered the 25 mile because of its distance – it was too early to go 50 miles.  So for me it was a training ride, getting my horse used to the environment again, while also slowly increasing the distance.  So, 50 miles, no matter how slow it may be ridden, would NOT have worked for my horse.

At that same ride (Manzanita Ride), I ran into this elderly lady. She was really up in age and she entered her very first endurance ride ever.  Oops, sorry…LD ride.  25 miles to her was a huge goal to accomplish.  She told me that she wasn’t sure if she could do it or not.  Well, she crossed the finish line somewhere towards the end of the pack with a healthy horse, and she was glowing with sense of pride and personal accomplishment.  Due to her age, chances are that she’ll never move up to 50’s, but she’ll surely remain a responsible, happy LD rider.

I’ve also seen people who can’t sit in the saddle but so long due to back problems or other disabilities that nobody would detect unless they asked.  Then there are the horses that due to high age, are safer to be in LD rides than 50 mile rides.

As for myself, I can’t wait for the day I enter my first 100 – a goal that I will eventually achieve.  The personal discipline one must have to prepare his horse for that goes hand in hand with the word “endurance”.  But we cannot ridicule those that choose to do LD’s.  LD’s can be a good thing.  And those who ride their horses too hard and too fast in LD rides will eventually learn to ride differently simply by being around experienced endurance riders, vet comments, etc.  Without LD rides, we’d have a lot of inexperienced “racers” doing 50 milers and potentially REALLY hurting their horses.

Just my opinion.

DBL Realtors