[RC] starved Arabian horses in Southern NJ - Wendy Mancini

I received this information through my Colts Neck Trail Rider group & felt it should be sent on for anyone who may be able to assist.  From the news link included in the below letter you can go to the article.
Dear Horse Friends:

I am writing to tell you about a horrible situation here in New Jersey where I live. There is a man by the name of Joseph Steubing who has a farm (if one can call it that) where he houses some 56+ horses; mostly Arabians but many crosses too. Our horse community has been trying for several years to get the SPCA involved in his non-treatment of these horses. Joseph Stuebing has had a warrant out for his arrest since May 2003 for animal neglect. Finally last week, the local SPCA saw fit to have this warrant served. The SPCA was absolutely horrified when they arrived at his farm. The only way I know how to describe the condition of these horses are skeletons with skin. Unfortunately prior to his arrest, no one was allowed on the property. While Stuebing spent a few days in jail, the SPCA and the horse community pulled together. Tractor trailer loads of hay arrived as did feed. Two caretakers have been assigned to stay on the farm 24/7.

A group of horse lovers went to the farm this past Monday to start tagging & weighing the horses. To their horror, some only weighed 200 lbs. Yes 200 lbs! You can see pictures through the two attached newspaper articles. The local 4-H Clubs are coming in almost daily to start grooming and giving these horses love. Stuebing had turned out a walking horse stallion in a field with his "old" mares and now several of them are due to foal any day now.

This is just a brief synopsis of the on going situation. The purpose of my email is to implore the help of the horse community throughout the United States. Stuebing has a court appearance next Thursday, October 23, 2003 in Glouchester County, NJ. We are asking everyone's help in making sure this man can never, ever own a horse again. He does not deserve to ever own a horse again - especially if you all could see first hand what this man has done to all these animals. We need each and every one of you who receive this email to send a letter to the Glouchester Co., NJ prosecutor's office ASAP. The letters need to arrive before Thursday, Oct. 23. The address is:

Miss Mary Pyffer

AP Gloucester County Prosecutor office
P.O. Box
Woodbury, N.J. 08096

http://www.courierpostonline.com

Thanks to everyone who can help. If you have any questions, please contact me at: bjkphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx

Barbara Kirchner Magrogan

Describes the mood or content of the topic posted Oct. 16, 2003 07:15 PM

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=quote_reply.gif

> ATTACHMENT part 3 image/gif name=edit.gif

> ATTACHMENT part 4 image/gif name=topic_alert.gif

> ATTACHMENT part 5 image/gif name=icon1.gif

Colts Neck Trail Riders Club - Colts Neck, NJ