Re: [AERC-Members] [RC] It's not the distance... - Randy H Eiland

Tammy,

I have never worried about how you ride because I know you have the "feel" for what is going on with your horses - many times I have been surprised when you have pulled because your horse looks good to me, then later your intuition is proved right and your horse may be slightly "not right" but in generally good shape for the next event.....and you are absolutely right that speed is the real culprit with "bad luck" being a distant second.  I hear about the Aussie Logbook and no fatalities there, but that is being touted as a solution by people who don't know the facts - the Logbook helps but is not a solution and the Aussies have about the same percentage of equine fatalities as AERC  based on number of equine starts per year in each organization.  The difference is when the AERA determines a fatality is from over riding, they may ban the rider for up to 10 years (which is what has happened in the past)...however, just as here, most fatalities in Australia are from reasons not related to over riding.  I have sent Truman some statistics provided to me by an officer in the AERA - I don't know if they will be of any use but it would be very interesting to be able to compare AERA and AERC on like issues of equine welfare.

Another interesting point from Australia, they have reduced the number of  "dual sanctioned AERA/FEI" events because "There were six FEI rides in Australia last year and the same this year and they would total about 500 starts.We have actually dropped the number of FEI rides and have now settled down to a figure that I hope will be maintained. We still take the view that FEI is expensive and that their rules have huge horse welfare holes in them, as seen at WEG."

Randy Eiland