[RC] Jenny's story the end - Maggie Mieske

Then it was “On the way to camp!” We had caught up to a couple of riders at the time, but let them go on ahead. Then we had to let Nelson and Mike pass us, which was the last time I think we had to eat dust that day. (Although we did follow them for a mile or so!) Where again we met them at a cattle guard, so they could open and close the gate for us!! Saving us from having to get off and feel how sore we were. (Thanks guys! That‘s what pit crewing is all about!) We then had to road ride for the next four miles or so! We tried to make up some time since it was all flat, besides the chatter bumps! We trotted along catching up to the other two riders when I think Max realized where we were and started trotting faster. I didn’t have a problem with it, because he seemed to be moving fine. So we rode together for about three miles when the other riders decided to race for the finish. That’s when Joyce and I decided to hold back and let the horses walk in.

We got to the finish line and Joyce suggested holding hands and completing at a tie. Good idea, but the timers wouldn’t allow a tie, so Joyce went ahead and finished a tenth of a second ahead of me. Which put her in 11 th place and me in 12 th place. (3 rd and 4 th light weights!) We started walking back to where we could pulse down, when I realized Nelson wasn’t there with my blanket. (And the one Max was looking forward to!) So Mike calls out his name, which I guess he heard, because he wasn’t too far behind Aunt Mary with my blanket. So Aunt Mary put on Max’s blanket and took off his saddle, while I took the blanket from Nelson and wrapped it around my shoulders. (Didn’t want my shoulders to get cold and stiffen up… or my back!) Doing all of this, I figured Max’s pulse was down from walking in and sure enough it was. His pulse was a 52! After Nelson gave me my blanket, I asked him to do me a favor. He just looked at me like “What now…?” I said, “Trot Max out as fast as you can, PLEASE…” He asked me why and I explained to him that he seemed to do better picking up his feet when he went faster. So sure enough, he looked great. The funny thing was that the vet noticed and said, “Does wonders, trotting them out faster, he looks great!” And I think that was the highlight of the ride. The vet thought my horse looked great at the end. I was pleased with completing the ride, and my horse looked happy! (I think he was even happier when he saw his buddy at camp!! But that’s a story for another day!)

And now here we are, on our way home! All of us!! J Even Malik, who is ready to ride another day! I think all of us are happy with not having to smell sage brush anymore! Aunt Mary and I wrote some songs for another ride day while we were sitting in the trailer! We played yatzee and dice. We also stopped to pick up rocks in each state we went through. (Back to the sage brush) We just went through Nebraska last night, and I could smell the GRASS. So we all know we’re getting closer to home! In fact, we’re about 3 hours away from my house!! Woo Who!! Time to go feed my pony! (Bet he’ll be happy!J ) Later guys!

NOTE FROM MAGGIE: I am so proud of Jenny and Max. I was so worried about her on the trail alone….it was a beautiful trail but not an easy one by any means! Jenny and Max are turning into quite the team and I think they will bear watching in the future. Max will do anything for that girl and Jenny is learning the strategy and fine points of getting through a ride and meeting her goals with a sound and healthy horse. Thanks to Joyce for riding with her that last loop….I knew they would end up together and sure felt better knowing it! I have posted this for Jenny but I am sure she would be pleased with a note from anyone inclined to send her one and her address is j_bruhmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve