Re: [RC] a year of 25's - Deanna German

on 10/17/03 3:11 PM, Heidi Smith at heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Deanna, if you bothered to read my AERC record, there are actually three LDs
that show up there--all three on the horse I'm currently riding.

Whoa there, Heidi, that was David speaking, not me!

But that really isnt' germaine to the discussion,
as the conclusions I've drawn with regard to the detriments of LD have come
not from my riding career but from having vetted a copious number of rides
over the years, in which I've seen horses come back to do LD after LD until
their minds were fried.  And no, I'm not talking racing--I'm talking about
conservative riders who were "told" that this was what one had to do, but
lacked the experience to see what was going on with their horses.

I didn't agree with you on this a couple of years ago, but I agree with you
now and you have put into different words exactly my point. A year of LD's
wouldn't have worked for me and this horse. I could see the brain frying
after the second LD and the third one blew her mind. Took me 110 more
competitive miles to get her back. The one day 50 back in June was the best
thing I've done for this horse mentally. After 500 miles of CTR. :-)) And
yes, I'm a total newbie to this sport. Any equine sport actually.

(Actually, you pointed that out,
too--you correctly pointed out that I didn't learn it on LDs, although you
likely didn't know that I rode CTRs prior to ever doing endurance at all...)

Again, some of this is what David said, not me!

My concern here is the concept that a year of LDs is good for the HORSE.

Precisely.

While some may benefit from that, a great many will not, and will actually
be hampered by not moving on.

Yup.

This isn't a debate about LD as such--it is a
debate about what is best for the HORSE.  And since that is different for
each individual, the rider needs to have the freedom to make the right
choices for his or her individual horse, instead of having to "survive" a
rule aimed at the lowest common denominator, so to speak.

Agreed. And I wouldn't have agreed with this 2 or 3 years ago when I was
just getting started. The rider needs to be understanding what's going on
with the horse.

Deanna