Re: [RC] looking for a progressive place to live in California - Lynn Kinsky

Brings LOTS of money. The MEDIAN home in Santa Barbara is $800,000 and I just saw the stats for podunk Paso Robles---- around $350,000! Now these are the medians and NOT WITH ACREAGE! You can still find land cheaper in the central desert area but it may be too hot in summer to ride your horse (Have to travel to Morrow Bay in summer from Paso to escape 100 degree weather). I'd relocate myself FROM CA if I could figure out how to afford to move my 24 horses!
Write to our new progressive governor and see if he can terminate these ridiculously high land prices!
Good luck!
Bette

Well, if people stopped wanting to move here (and stopped reproducing <g>) the pressure on land would not be as intense.

To find relatively cheap land, go where the jobs aren't or the climate isn't ideal -- Antelope Valley is one place. Yes, you don't ride in the middle of the day most summer days (although it still is better than Phoenix or Tucson in Arizona), but go to the valley slopes (Phelan, for instance) a thousand feet above the valley floor and it is cooler. Otherwise, you ride in the early evening and it's nice -- I've done it. During the winter while those of us on the coastal slopes are whining about the rain and adobe mud, the folks in the high desert are out conditioning for all the winter and spring rides. <g>

Another promising area is the western Sierras -- it's developing, but I know several people who have cashed out their homes in the Bay area or Central Coast, and are happy as can be in Gold Country.
--
Lynn Kinsky Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky