[RC] question for vets - Kathie Ford

Hi there, just a question on hydration.  I met a nice endurance gal the other day and was asking about her horse who was a arab/quarter cross.  Since I have one also we got to talking further.  She mentioned to me that one has to be more alert with these crosses due to the fact that they can have dehydration issues more than the purebreds.

Based on your experiences at rides how do you vets feel about this?  How can I be more careful and watchful of my horse?  Is this possible due to more muscle mass with the quarter in them?  I've read a post regarding older horses having less collegen, thus skin tenting that may not be indicating a problem in them?  So I want to learn about this more...

I do believe this gal and her horse is in good shape.  She said she learned the hard way though, but learned.  Her horse has done Tevis several times and she said due to what happened once she became a much more careful rider with her horse.  I want to be that way too.

So, any information shared would be great!!

thanks!

kathie