Re: [RC] Trail riding help - Susan Garlinghouse

I'm not sure what else to tell you other than circumstantially stocked up
legs and a sore back (assuming it's not a saddle fit issue) are signs of
overexertion, period.  I'm not saying you're abusing your horse---he just
may be less mature than your other friends horses, uses himself differently,
has different saddle and rider dynamics going on---dunno.

I realize this probably isn't the politically correct thing to say, and I'm
sure more experienced folks will be yelling at me any moment, but---speaking
ONLY for myself, I don't think riding a three year old is in the long term
best interest of the horse.  Granted that I'm a HW, but I don't even back my
babies until their third year, and they don't go out on the trail at any
speed, let alone trotting or cantering, until their fourth year at least.  I
just think there's too much wear and tear that can occur early before those
higher-up growth plates in the shoulders, hips and spine have had a chance
to mature.

So believe me, I'm not bashing you, Buffy, it's obvious you want to do
what's best for your youngster.  My advice would be---back down to the point
that your kid *isn't* coming back from rides stocked up and back sore.  Get
a really good saddler to check the fit on the saddle and then have a really
good dressage instructor check your equitation to make sure it's not
something funny you might be doing inadvertently.  Better backing down now
and letting the horse mature, then finding out in a few years that he's
already DONE because of degenerative changes that can't be undone.

Good luck.  JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse DVM