[RC] Falling from FAT horses. . . :0\ - Laurie Durgin

Ouuucchch. Now. . . I wonder, "Does everyone else fall from the same side from the same horse?", Do horses have falling sides?", " Do riders always fall from the same side?" ,"Do you fall on the horses 'soft 'side or 'hard' side? ",Are you more likely to fall off of Fat horses whose saddles slip?"
What I learned :<( Be careful and listen to your cautious voice, oh, ow,oh.ow.
My mare was a bit more 'opinionated' about our normal exercises and during warmup. She broke into a trot a couple times when we were just warming up at a walk. She had seen and smelled 2 horses go by earlier. She kept looking over at Rascal who was in the woods making 'leafy' noises. The gnats were all over and she was shaking her head alot (even after the fly spray). My gun fanatic neighbor was shooting his 'Buffalo Gun" every once in a while.But since he did it like 30 minutes apart I thought he was done. He shot once as I started to mount. She startled a little, but they do hear it sometimes.So I thought , "ya know, she has to learn to work thru this stuff and trust me".I'd also moved a bunch of tarps around in the ring , and she didn't want to approach that end, we had been doing some "sidepassing".
And another mistake ,was I was trying out one of my new pads, and not using my tacky pad under.
And she'd gained probably 50lbs. (I'd wormed her twice sort of a month apart, because we spilled some of the first dose.) We'd changed hay, heck,maybe she got out early once and cleaned up the grain Champ flings out of his bucket, and we had lots of grass this year.
Anyway she is 'Tubby Tuba" and I cut all grain and even beet pulp out.
Now I do have a breastplate on, but no crupper(which keeps all saddles on Rascal the barrel). Another note to myself, "you may want to train her to the crupper."
So there we are near the 'tarp" end being silly, "Buffalo Gun" goes off , she spins, saddle slips, I try to right it( usually can on Rascal:0). ,She is 'bolting' I am trying to turn her and right saddle.(at this point I dont' really know what I am doing with reins >sigh< Well anyway, it didn't work, so I let myself 'go' landing on hip, shoulder, arm and head(thank you early judo training). Oh, and thank you helmet, properly adjusted. Made 3 dents in the dirt about 5' deep.
Luckily I'd drug it earlier in the day, so it wasn't as hard as it could have been.And I managed to miss the 8 ground poles and old jump, I have scattered and the 'rock' I have padded". She runs 3 times around the arena, I try to yell out "Whoa , Honey", hoping she won't kill my saddle. Finally I yell "Carrots, Honey!!" and she stopped. I managed to get up, limped over(hip definitely wrenched) , pushed the saddle back up and limped back with her to the paddock, put the saddle up and other tack and limp in.
"So I may replace my helmet, it is 3 years old, I did hear something and took a 'bump' though not a hard blow.But it is a good excuse to go shopping . . .
Note to self: This is the second time you have had a saddle slip on this horse when she spun and bolted.( a year ago), maybe crupper is good idea,;) that and getting that fat off her!! Hay bellies don't hold saddles well!!!!!!
By the way , my release on my stirrup worked ,The right came right off that saddle when I kicked off on my way off. .? So was that a 7 mph trot or a 11 mph trot I fell from. . . . ?

Page a contact?s mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=