Re: [RC] Size of horse at AERC nat'l champ - saioak

> Mommesin is just under 15 hands . Her athletic ability stems from
> excellent conformation and a lineage of  "Black Type" (Stake Winners,
Stake Producers).

I'm curious. Did she race in the past?
Yes she competed at the Los Alamitos Race Track 1993 -1995 and continued in training until 1998. Thereafter, she kept herself relatively fit running with my other mares up/down the hill overlooking my farm.  Last year Alyx told me her goal was to be accepted for the 2003 PAC ride.  I felt confident that Mommesin was the ideal candidate.

How old is she?
Foaled in May of 1989 she is now fourteen.

I looked up her record and noticed in her first 3 races she was something like 2nd, 1st, pulled lame, and after that looked to have stayed sound.
Whatever the problem it was not a soft-tissue injury. Mommesin is sound.

Then within about 5 months did her first & 2nd 100's. Did she cross over from another sport?
Mommesin raced in fairly tough company at Los Alamitos and was kept virtually "Race Ready" for three years after that. Her muscles and respiratory system had been fully developed slowly over time Having been really fit at one time it doesn't take too long to bring a horse back up to their former fitness level*. Once she achieved her former level of fitness, it was Alyx's job to train her to "go the distance"....  I think she did an excellent job.

*Had I bred Mommesin this rule would not apply as a mares body undergoes many changes in preparation for foaling. At age thirteen (2002)  making a "come back" would not have been wise knowing that Alyx's goal was PAC 2003.

Angie ...  I understand your concern and hope this has answered your question.  As her Breeder and Race Trainer I knew full well what she was capable of and was not concerned that Alyx would take her too far too soon. We have had several discussions phone/email regarding her fitness prior to/after a ride and felt confident from my conversations with Alyx that PAC 2003 / AERC NC was definitely in sight and that she and Mommesin were "Good to Go".

Bev Scott      Ocala, FL.