Re: [RC] Degenerative Hock - Marlene Moss

I bought my first endurance horse when she was 7 years old.  The reason I bought her (aside from the fact that she is a very beautiful and well put together horse) was that she was hesitant down hills.  I had broken my back the year before and had never been a confident rider.  Hills filled me with terror – walking slowly was the only way I could handle it.

The mare got a year off as we got to know each other as I wasn’t anywhere near ready for competition.  We started with Competitive Trail and then were working our way up in speed as my confidence improved.  The mare still desperately wanted endurance speeds, but was still always hesitant down hills.  As I learned more, I realized that the nagging thought I’d had that something was wrong was probably correct.

By age 10, the 10 minute P&R stands with no movement really stiffened her up and she’d move out with some funny hitches.  I tried Legend and voila!  A new horse!  For about 3 weeks she moved incredibly well, very confident down hills.  Then suddenly worse than ever.  My vet was out of town, so I had another rush out to give another injection and this time it really didn’t have any effect.

So I took her to a lameness expert that I am lucky to have nearby and we radiographed her hock.  Lots and lots of degeneration in the lower joints.  So much that she didn’t recommend hock injections – which I wasn’t too keen on anyhow.  What she did recommend was a cunectomy.  It’s an old procedure that is also called cutting the jacks.  What caused her degeneration and was preventing the joints from fusing was the cunean (sp?) tendon.  It used to control one of the vestigial toes and now all it does is cause friction in the joint, so much in her case that fusing wasn’t going to happen.  I hope I’m remembering all this correctly!

Anyhow, a lot of vets don’t do the procedure, it must be done in a clean room and takes several hours.  But this vet has had a lot of success and while it’s expensive, seems to do the trick, depending upon the cause of the degeneration.

I could have ridden the horse a day later (except for another procedure we’d also done that required 3 days of recovery).  So I schedule a riding lesson for 3 days later and my instructor was amazed.  The mare was bringing her hind legs well underneath her, which was new.  She seemed extremely confident moving around in our crappy weed filled arena.  The next day I took her out on some hills and after a little experimentation, she really was a whole new horse.

The mare got a year off – was planning on breeding and had bought another horse, but now my husband is bringing her back.  We just got back from a very hilly ride and she moved beautifully down the hills.  It was really amazing watching her move.  After seeing that, I swear I want to do this procedure as a preventative measure for all the horses – if it was cheap anyhow!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Moss Rock Endurance Adventures

www.mossrockendurance.com