Re: [RC] Most Coveted Award - Heidi Smith

Truman said:

Must be a mistake. I would think the NC BC
would be the most coveted prize in the sport.

kat said:
Not by me.  The National Hundred Mile Award, the National
Best Condition Championship, the National Mileage Award, the
Jim Jones Stallion Award, any Pioneer Award are all well
ahead of it for me.

I would even put the year-end regional awards ahead of any
single performance for one ride.
<snip>
What do other people think?

I'm with you on this one, kat.  And pretty much the awards you listed are
ones I covet.  The awards that I find meaningful are the ones that require a
person to ride the same horse all season and keep it in good shape.  I don't
begrudge those that find glory in single rides, but like you, I'd put a
Tevis win or a Haggin Cup or an OD win or BC or a Swanton win or BC over the
NC win or BC.  For all the hoopla over the PAC of late, I'd rather have a
medal at a PAC.  So far the NC just hasn't drawn the competition that the
above-named rides have done.  But that aside, I still find that I respect
the measure of horsemanship even more to go out and keep the same horse
sound for several rides, even if one doesn't win them all.  And the
highlights of my own career have been two PNER mileage champions, one of
which I rode the entire season, and the other of which had 4 other riders in
addition to myself.  I covet mileage medalions, mileage chevrons, and
season-long awards, definitely!

Heidi