[RC] Degenerative Hock - rrohwer Rohwer

I recently found out that my 4yo gelding has a degenerative hock joint.  This really bums me out as I was looking forward to him being my up and coming endurance horse.  I have raised him since he was weaned.  My mare that I ride now is 15.  I was hoping to slow her down in the next couple years while bringing the gelding on slowly.

My vet diagnosed the problem a couple weeks ago after taking some x-rays of the hock joint on the right rear leg.  His recommendation is that I turn the boy out for a year and leave him alone.  He is hoping that the joint in question will fuse and hopefully he will be a usable horse.  Right now the vet is only giving him a 50/50 chance of that happening.

In my mind I am thinking that even if the joint does fuse that I will probably not use him for endurance at all.  But I am hoping that he might be come a nice pleasure trail riding horse.  He is a very sweet boy.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this kind of thing with a young horse and if the out come was OK.  I have limited pasture and don't feel like I can keep this horse if he is permanently lame.  So am not looking forward to making a decision about his future if the joint does not fuse.

Thanks for listening
Becky Rohwer - Montana