[RC] Howard!-Philosophy - Lisa M Pardus

Good to see you back! You are RIGHT ON about riders being completely
honest. My first ride, I didn't e'lyte since it was only a 25.(I did use
beet pulp and still feed it regularly, I have also switched to Endurance
101 horse feed by Buckeye.) I was ready to pull at the slightest sign of
anything amiss. Even though I knew then (and know I will get flamed for
it now) that the vet would tell me I needed to e'lyte, I was honest when
she asked me if I was e'lyting. (BTW those who would flame, be aware that
we got all As except for attitude[B] at the end. Maleka had no wish to
trot ONE MORE STEP even though she WAS alert, eating and drinking fine,
and flicking her ears at horses coming in and going back out.) I felt
that by being honest, the vet would know what to look for and possibly
look harder to find signs of something going wrong. IF I had lied and
said yes I was e'lyting, would the vet have looked as hard at her, trying
to find something wrong? Probably not, but I WANTED the vet to look hard
for problems.
We finished within the time limits, pulsed down VERY fast, and did a
darn good job! All because I researched, educated MYSELF on hydration
problems, and "knew" my horse. As Howard pointed out riders need to be
honest. I, the "rider", was honest, up front, and completely aware of
what the horse could/could not do. Also, even though it might have cost
me the ride, I was honest with the vet on what was being done with my
girl. The rider doesn't do his/her horse any kindness by lying at the vet
check, ignoring any problems, or pushing through problems.
It was easier to be that honest, because I had good examples to follow.
The people I look up to, Howard and his family(wife Erica, daughter
Jennifer) Debbie Parsons, Deborah Foti, Valerie Kanavy, the Rojeck and
some of the other well-known names in the endurance world are my
inspiration. I have seen Howard, Erica, and Debbie pull at rides they
faced their problems for their horses sake. They didn't ignore the signs
so they could finish the ride. Valerie is a pillar as far as I am
concerned. Despite the fact that she had TWO horses ready for the PAC in
Vermont, and neither one could compete, she was there, giving her time,
effort and expertise to crew. She did NOT ignore her horses problems and
push on despite the fact that she wanted to "do" this ride!(What a ride
to have to miss out on!)
People like these are the ones young/new riders will look to when
deciding what we/they should do at rides. They demonstrate the importance
of "knowing your horse" and doing the right thing when something is
wrong.
I know this is long, but I hope it gives someone the inspiration THEY
need to do the right thing. That ride has been the only one I have done
so far, and I hope I have the courage to continue to live up to the same
standards as those I look up to in future rides.

In His Hands,
Lisa P.     www.outbackacres.com
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin