[RC] The situation surrounding horses death - rides2far

O I am suggesting that riders that  compete at a high level(PAC, FEI,
etc.) be required to run a short  distance  themselves.  I run myself and
have run the same trails I train on
and  believe me it does put another perspective on the demands we ask
of
our  horse.  I

Your intent is good, but I don't agree with your theory. Two riders who I
can think of who I have felt over-ran their horses actually pushed
themselves as hard as they pushed their horses. One guy who thankfully
didn't compete for long but did a lot of damage to our image around here
while he did, actually continued to ride his horse while it had an abcess
and was limping. He said he had to learn to "ignore pain". This guy
really wasn't mean, he was an obsessive compulsive adventure obsessed
person who treated himself the same way. Since *he* trained through pain
he thought it was an important part of his horse's training.

I know it's an extreme example but now consider Dinah Rojek. She's had
multiple hip replacements and walks with a cane but is a *very* good
rider regularly competing in 100 milers. I would definately rather loan
Dinah one of my horses than an obsessive compulsive marathon runner with
a competitive streak. That's not to say that an obsessive compulsive
marathoner with empathy for a horse wouldn't be the optimal
combination...I'm just saying that having the rider run doesn't guarantee
they'll go easier on the horse.

P.S. I used to get off and run down hills or walk uphills but since I've
had my meniscus removed I do my horse more damage than good. I can
control the pain to ride, but when I agrivate it with running it flares
up and makes me ride worse...which I feel hurts him more than me getting
off helps.

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!