Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 8:40 AM
Subject: [RC] tying up

Maggie, check your horse's selenium level.  First thing I would do.  Have fed my guys sweet feed for 30 years of this sport.  Tying up for old Charlie came from lack of selenium as well as dehydration.   Check it out.  You should be on the high side of 180 for a distance horse.  Ohio is low in selenium.  I had my guys on selenium supplement when I lived there and had no more problems.  Jeanie