Re: [RC] [RC] Natural balance shoes and St. Croix eventer shoes - beth glover - Maggie Mieske

Don't forget that a farrier has to add on his cost for shipping and a profit.  He puts out money to keep shoes in stock and since it is his/her living, of course, he would like to make a profit.  AND if a farrier is also applying the NB PRINCIPLES to the NB shoes and measuring for Duckett's Dot, and setting the shoe back, etc. then there is more time involved than fitting your run of the mill keg shoe.  We don't use NB shoes (too slippery and dangerous in our opinion) but when Nelson squares the toe and is otherwise trying to correct a problem, it SHOULD cost more (though that is an argument I never win).  And aluminum IS more expensive.  What you should be asking yourself is if the guy did a good job, are you happy, is your horse happy, is he moving better, does he treat the horse right and what will you do if he hears you begrudge him $20?  Personally, those kinds of clients get dropped like a hot potato from our client list.  Next time think about adding a tip and telling him that you appreciate his time and effort.  Otherwise, if you really don't, then find someone you DO.
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve