Re: [RC] re: Endpoint of an endurance ride - Elite

    I remember a ride where the horses pulse wouldn't come down (1st place) and yet the horse did the rest of the final exam.  They took the horse back to the trailer and was working to get the pulse down.  When they finally did and presented the horse, the vet asked them to trot out again and the horse was off.   They felt that the horse should get a completion, the vet said that the horse was not "fit to continue" at that point, no completion.
    Right or wrong? ... I don't know...  but that's the way it went.

Linda

There's really no rule that says you must present to the vet judge for the final exam and do everything at once.  Many a time I've come it and my pulse rate is too hight but I go ahead and trot out for soundness.  We call this trot for completition but the pulse MUST come down for a completition as well.  I'll come back a few minutes later for the vet to check the pulse.  THEN, we're completed!

Most times, I'll tell the vet that our pulse is too high (likely MINE is too) but we'd like to trot out now.  He'll go ahead and do the entire vet check procedure and by the time he gets to the pulse, my horse IS down!  That's a nice feeling.

But to complete a horse without checking pulse and soundness is against the rules.

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink; secretary, RRRSA
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)