Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 7:32 PM
Subject: [AERC-Members] Ideas

And, it would cause the smart people to bolt and leave an organization that acts like a police state, writing tickets, instead of trying to educate.

Man, we are really getting carried away here.  I don't like what I'm reading at all, lately, about any of this.   Heck, why don't we just burn them at the stake, like we did a few hundred years ago?  It's one way to eliminate those who don't act the way we would like.  I have a list of who the actual witches are, btw, in our organization, for those who might want to take such firm and decisive action.  They (the witches amongst us) boil young children in oil and run their horses into the ground so they can have them for dinner right after the ride (horse & kiddy pudding pie, they call it).

This is getting silly, folks. We're gonna punish people cause their non-Arabian horse, who might not have been trained according to our super, elitist, endurance horse standards, doesn't come down in 30 minutes at a ride where the temp is 85 degrees and the humidity is 90 per cent.  If anyone should be fined it's our own organization for allowing a ride to go on during a time of year where these temps occur (that's a joke).

The only thing that's going to occur, with most of the ideas I'm reading, is you're gonna piss a lot of folks off, lose them as members, and, eventually, disappear as an organization.  First, we take away the competition.  Then, we gossip publicly about folks we don't think are really doing "the right thing" with their horses.  Then, heck, we fine them, again and again, and if they still don't get the message and are stupid enough to continue showing up at rides, the only option left is to just lynch them.  Kept folks who had an incorrect attitude in line a few hundred years ago, why not bring that one back?  Great idea, must have come from North Georgia.

When something goes wrong with a horse at an endurance ride our first reaction should be compassion.  Then, maybe, ask some questions, to determing what might have went wrong.  But, to go for blood, immediately, without knowing the facts, is such a mistake.  It's completely wrong.

There are not that many bad apples in our sport and I think some of ya'll are just trying to put yourselves up so high and mighty that you've really forgotten those words you should be saying when a horse gets into trouble at an endurance ride.  "There, but for the grace of God, go I."  If you don't think it can happen to you, you really shouldn't be the ones to determine what happens to someone that it does happen to, because, quite frankly, you've lost touch with reality.

I've been doing endurance for 5 years.  I got a horse into trouble during my first year and it tore me up so badly, I've done everything within my feeble powers to make sure that it would never happen again.  A few weeks back one of my best endurance horses, ranked number 2 or 3 in the Southeast, got into trouble, with no rationale explanation whatsoever for it.  He just went down.

Ya'll want to come after me for what happened at that ride, come on.  I'm thinking of taking a break from this sport anyway.  Action like that would send me over the edge and I would never ever return (the witches are licking their chops thinking of that possibility).

This is not what I was hoping for when I was so thrilled to see the Welfare of the Horse Committee established at the Convention.  I thought, with education, coordinated with investigations of any horse deaths at an endurance ride would be a real benefit to all members of AERC.  But, reading that we're gonna start fining folks, start taking away any past accomplishments because their horse didn't come down in 30 minutes or got pulled for other metablic reasons, is ridiculous.  We're losing track of where we want to go here.  Do we want to grow as an orgainzation or completely fall apart because we decided to punish those who weren't catching on fast enough?

The truth is we really don't know what's happening here.  Some of these horses are getting into trouble for reasons that we can't quite figure out and, this is what we need to look at.  In most cases, we really don't know and, to punish the rider because it was his/her misfortune to be riding one of these horses who did not do well at a ride is so wrong.  Hey, wouldn't it be ironic if it was our beloved "electrolytes" causing some of these problems?  Who would we blame then, since, we push this product so hard?  We should form a committee to fine the makers of the product, yea, that's the ticket.  Or, give Heidi their cell phone number.

To accomplish the goal of learning from horses who do get into trouble at endurance rides we really need the rider on board for us to have half a chance of getting accurate information.  Punish the rider, and we will lose that information.  Punish them severely and we not only lose that rider as a member, we lose his family and any of his close friends or those who think the punishment was unjust.  Get to the point where self righteousness becomes absurdity and there will only be one or two of you left in the organization.

To go after a member should only be a last resort and only happen when it is such a flagrent violation even someone as stupid as myself would see there was no other choice.  Otherwise, the rider is presumed innocent until PROVEN beyond a reasonble doubt that they were not.  To go any other way will shut down AERC altogether.  I really believe that.

cya,
Howard (what the heck is happening here?)